Postgraduate International Research Student
International students wishing to study a specific subject at the postgraduate level may be admitted in the capacity of postgraduate international research students.
Research students belong to a specific laboratory of the departments and engage in research work under the supervision of the prospective guidance professor.
No degree or qualification will be conferred upon completion of a research program. Research students may audit classes with the prior permission of the instructors, however, cannot earn credits.
- Selection is made on the basis of the submitted application documents and a report of oral or e-mail interviews by the selecting committee of the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences. It is not necessary for applicants from abroad to come to Japan while documents are being screened.
- To apply, applicants should obtain a prospective guidance professor's guidance approval. Students are required to make ample contact with one faculty member of this graduate school and to be given approval concerning their study plans, Japanese language proficiency and living arrangements in Japan before applying. Please refer to 'FACULTY AND FIELDS OF RESEARCH'
To obtain application materials, please contact International Student Advising Room
Time of admission April September Period of application Applicants from abroad November May Applicants residing in Japan January June
A person who has graduated or is expected to graduate from a university abroad (i.e., a person who has or will have completed 16 years of regular curricular studies with a bachelor's degree) may apply for admission as a post graduate international student.
Time of Admission
Period of Application
For applicants from abroad : November 27 (Mon), 2017 - December 1(Fri), 2017
For applicants residing in Japan : January 5 (Fri), 2018 - January 12 (Fri), 2018
- Application Form for Admission (prescribed form)
- Photographs: Three identical photographs (4 cm x 3cm) taken within the last three months. One of three photographs must be attached to the designated area on the application form. Photographs should be upper body face shots of the applicant without any head covering.
- Transcripts of Degree issued by the university and the graduate school attended
- Transcript of Scholastic Record issued by the university and the graduate school attended
*GPA, its grading system and numbers of credits should be attached
- Letter of recommendation from the one of the President, Dean, Chairman, the academic supervisor, of the university or the graduate school attended
- A copy of Certificate of Proficiency in the Japanese Language: a copy of Certificate of Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) or a certificate approved by the applicant’s instructor or equivalent authority (prescribed form)
- A copy of TOEFL Score Certificate (TOEFL scores are valid if the tests were taken two years before the date of the application)
- A copy of Resident Card (applies only to applicants residing in Japan)
- Health Certificate (prescribed form)
- Study Program (prescribed form)
- Financial Plan (prescribed form)
- Bank Statement (as of application date)
- Transaction Report (report for 3 months before application)
*1. 12), 13) are to be under the name of the applicant, or family member, or the supporter.
*2. In case of the applicant is to provide his/her living expenses by scholarship, scholarship documents are necessary of 12), 13).
*3. Both transcripts of degree and scholastic record must be original. Incomplete documents or unclear printing will not be accepted.
Examination FeeExamination fee: 9,800 yen
**Examination fee must be paid after being admitted to the university and at the time of entrance procedure after arrival in Japan.
How to applyAll application documents must be sent by registered mail such as EMS, DHL etc.
Only applications postmarked during the application period indicated above will be accepted.
Applications should be sent to:
International Student Advising Room
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
Selection will be conducted by review of the applications and oral or e-mail interviews. Oral & e-mail interviews will be done by a prospective supervisor.
The results of selection will be notified at the following times:
For applicants from abroad: January 10(Wed), 2018
For applicants residing in Japan: February 7(Wed), 2018
Period of Enrollment
The period of enrollment for a Postgraduate International Research Student is one year. This period may be extended if an application for extension is approved by the graduate school. The total period as a Postgraduate International Research Student is limited to two years.
Entrance fee and tuition fee must be paid after being admitted to the university and at the time of entrance procedure after arrival in Japan. The current fees are as follows (as of April, 2017)Entrance Fee: 84,600 yen
Tuition Fee: 346,800 yen (for 12 months)
April-August: 144,500yen, September-March: 202,300yen
* A research student can not apply for admission tuition fee exemption.
- After the application process is complete, changes to the documents will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- Personal information obtained through the application process, including the applicant's name and address, will only be used for the following: 1) student selection (application Processing, screening); 2) announcement of successful applicants; 3) admission procedures. For students enrolling, personal information will be used for: 1) educational affairs (school registration, attendance record, etc.); 2) student support (health care, career support, scholarship applications, exemptions from tuition fees, use of libraries,etc.); and 3) procedures regarding the collection of tuition fees.
- Any submitted documents will be not returned.
- After the admission process is complete, application, examination fee, entrance fee and tuition fee are non-refundable under any circumstances.
- A Postgraduate International Research Student can not apply for entrance fee and tuition fee exemption.